05 October 2013 | By: Brenda Leyndyke

The Book of Me: A House is not a Home

Writing about my childhood home is going to be difficult as I lived in seven houses during the first 17 years of my childhood.  I have written about all seven of these houses at my Journey to the Past blog.

  1. Pine Street, Deckerville, Michigan
  2. Black River Street, Deckerville, Michigan
  3. Parrott Street, Deckerville, Michigan
  4. Whitcomb Street, Harbor Beach, Michigan
  5. Trescott Street, Harbor Beach, Michigan
  6. First Street, Harbor Beach, Michigan
  7. Huron Avenue, Harbor Beach, Michigan
Although, I lived in a variety of houses, it wasn't the structure that made it a home.  It was family. I never had the privilege to live near my grandparents, or any extended family for that matter.  It was my parents, myself, two sisters and a brother at various times of my childhood.  My sister is nine years younger than I am and my brother is eleven years younger.  It was like two separate families. I grew up as many others did in the 1950's.  I had a stay at home mother, a father who worked, and traditional Christian family values.  All of these things together provided me with the tools I needed to leave home and go to college.

I left home number seven in August of 1975, just shy of my eighteenth birthday, to attend Western Michigan University(WMU) in Kalamazoo, Michigan, about 250 miles away.  One of the factors of my attending WMU was that I wanted to go to college away from home.  I wanted the new adventure that I thought attending college would give me. I have been an independent, some call it stubborn, person most of my life.  In fact, I only applied to Western Michigan.  I don't know what I would have done had I not been admitted.

As I look back on my childhood, I don't think of one family home.  I think of all the other things that makes a house a home.  I think of the love of family, the memories that were made and the times spent together, the good and the bad.  A house is a structure that provided me with the basic need for shelter, but a home is what developed me into the person I am today.




0 comments:

Post a Comment