27 September 2013 | By: Brenda Leyndyke

The Book of Me: Forever Autumn

I happen to live in an area where I get to enjoy all four seasons, but Fall, or Autumn, is by far my favorite time of the year.  I could live year round in a place where weather is fall like.

Brisk mornings followed by sunny afternoons are one of the reasons I enjoy Fall so much.  It is great sleeping weather.  Usually, I leave the window open at night and wake up snuggled under the covers.

The cooler weather brings about wonderful changes to the leaves.  The first thing I think about in Fall is the beautiful colors the leaves become.  The oranges, yellows, browns, and reds are breath taking.  I enjoy going on color tour drives to see the beauty that nature is during the fall season. While living in Harbor Springs, Michigan I enjoyed one of the most beautiful color tour drives I have ever seen.  The drive from Harbor Springs to Cross Village on M-119 takes you along a bluff with a view of the lake on the left and a tunnel of trees ahead of you.  This route is called "Tunnel of Trees".  The fall colors wrap around you as you drive.

I remember the colors of Fall as a child, too.  A favorite childhood memory is raking leaves just so I could jump in them.  The leaves would stick to my clothes and hair.  After jumping in the leaves, I would arrange the leaves in the shape of a house floor plan.  I would leave openings for doors and have a good time in my multicolored house.


Going to an apple orchard or pumpkin patch is another favorite thing about Fall.  Whether one picks their own apples or buys them by the bushel, Michigan apple season is a delight.  There is more than apples at our local apple orchards.  Fresh made cider, fresh cake like donuts, apple dumplings and more make a visit to an apple orchard a great fall outing.

Using those fresh picked apples to make apple pie or crisp, or even apple cake is one of my favorite fall activities.  Here is my recipe for apple crisp, a family favorite:

Apple Crisp
4 cups sliced apples
1T. lemon juice
1/3 cup flour
1 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup margarine, melted
Combine apples and lemon juice.  Combine remaining ingredients until crumbly.  Sprinkle on top of apples.  Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.  


After a visit to the apple orchard it is time to come home and settle in for my favorite football game.  I enjoy watching college football in the Fall.  My alma mater, Western Michigan University, is seldom on national television, so I usually root for the team that my son works for.  Currently, Travis is working for the athletic department in ticket sales for the University of Florida.  Chomp! Chomp!  Go Gators!  I root for the University of Michigan, too.

Whether it is seeing the leaves turn colors, hearing them rustle or smelling fresh baked apple crisp, Fall has a lot to offer.  It could be forever autumn, I enjoy it that much.



0 comments:

Post a Comment