19 December 2013 | By: Brenda Leyndyke

The Book of Me: The Military and Me

Do you remember College Fairs in high school?  My high school, Harbor Beach Community High School, in Harbor Beach, Michigan had a college fair my junior year.  College representatives and Armed Forces recruiters throughout Michigan came to the high school and presented to high school juniors about their school or program.  It was an opportunity for students to ask questions and learn more about opportunities after graduation.

One of the recruiters I talked to was from the Air Force.  I don't know if I was seriously considering joining the Air Force or if it was my rebellious nature that led me to him.  I knew before going to talk to him that 'girls' were not allowed to fly planes in the Air Force at this time, in 1974.  So, that is the first question I asked him.  The next question was "why not"?  I don't remember him answering the question completely, but I remember him saying that some day they might be allowed to.  Allowed to, yeah right, was my thought process at the time.

I never joined the Air Force or any service for that matter. Nor, do I remember ever being encouraged to join the service.  It was the era of the Vietnam War and most of what I had heard about the war wasn't good.  Protesters and draft dodgers had been in the news daily.  Anti-war sentiment abounded.

Anti-war sentiment could be felt in my small little town of Harbor Beach because one of its' citizens, Captain Bruce Johnson, was a prisoner of war.  His body has never been recovered, but he is assumed dead.  I remember my parents talking about him as well as another prisoner of war, Robert Abbott.  My dad had coached Robert Abbott when he was coaching in Deckerville, Michigan, Robert's hometown.  Robert Abbott was a prisoner of war for over 2000 days, being released in 1973.  These two incidents alone would have been enough for my parents to protest my wanting to join the military.  They didn't need to as I never seriously considered joining any of the services.

My family has a long history of serving the armed services; voluntarily and by being drafted.  My ancestors have served in wars as early as the American Revolution.  Here is a table showing my ancestors who served in the United States:

Ancestor
Dates
State Served Under
War Service
Alexander Glover
4th Great Grandfather
1756-1825
Massachusetts- Captain Seth Murray’s co.
American Revolution
Hopkins Rowley
4th Great Grandfather
1758-1831
Vermont-Captain Cooley company
American Revolution
Jonathan Rowley
5th Great Grandfather
1729-1806
Vermont- Member of court to try Tories; representative at Dorset Convention.
American Revolution
Peter Forney
5th Great Grandfather
1739-1829
Berks Co. Penn. –Capt. John Lesher
American Revolution
Thomas Bowles
5th Great Grandfather
Abt. 1743-Abt 1787
Frederick Co. Maryland-Member of Committee
American Revolution
William Salisbury II
5th Great Grandfather
1731-1821
Massachusetts-1779 served as barrack-master and commissary on Castle Island for Colonel Revere’s Corps of Artillery.
American Revolution
Moses Poor
5th Great Grandfather
1743-1775
New Hampshire-Captain Elisha Woodbury’s Co.  Died at Battle of Bunker Hill.
American Revolution
Seth Beal
6th Great Grandfather
1710-1786
Massachusetts-Private with Samuel Ward’s Co.
American Revolution
Samuel Stillman Glover, Jr
2ndGreat Grandfather
1836-1904
Michigan-wounded in 1862 in Tennessee on his way to Huntsville.
Civil War-Mechanics and Engineers
Daniel Fenn
3rd Great Grandfather
abt 1787-1836
Vermont-Private in Sumner’s Regiment for Vermont Militia, under Captain George Fisher co.
War of 1812
Merle Glover
Granduncle
1902-1981
Michigan-Lt. Col.   Possibly served in some form of government in Guam after WWII.  First, joined the Canadian Army during WWI by lying about his age and birthplace.  Buried in Arlington National Cemetery.
WWI and WWII
Bruce Glover
Father
1925-
2nd Lt. in US Army European Campaign, Battle of the Bulge
WWII-Army



 As I look back on my ancestor's service I am proud of where I came from.  My ancestors started serving before the United States became a nation.  One, Moses Poor, gave his life in the Battle of Bunker Hill.  I have researched my 2nd great grandfather, Samuel S. Glover, Jr. and learned of his heroic Civil War effort to take dispatches to General Buell, getting shot on the way.  He survived and was able to come home to his family, unlike so many others.  My father, who is still living, has just started to share his memories of his war time in what is now known as The Battle of the Bulge.

I have many uncles and cousins who have served starting with World War II, through the Vietnam War, and the more recent Iraq and Afghanistan Wars.  It is because of their service that I am able to write freely about their service.  The freedoms we experience in the United States are because of their efforts to keep us safe and free. Thank you to all who have served.

The Book of Me, Written by You is a new blog prompt series created by Julie Goucher at Anglers Rest blog.  Geneabloggers is adding support and encouragement to this 15 month blogging activity.  I write freely about the stories that bring my ancestors to life and look forward to exploring my life through writing.  I hope you will join me as I journey to my past.

Prompt 11 was Military.

0 comments:

Post a Comment